Thursday 23 February 2012

Still no shopping done

Managed to eat this week without doing a shop. Will have to shop tomorrow though as the fridge and cupboards are nearly bare. Girls have moaned every day about the lack of food in the house. I told them they just have no imagination on how to create a meal with very little. I made some soup for my lunch today and have enough for two more meals. I made up a spicy carrot and lentil  soup which I thought was lovely. Daughter No2 was not interested in soup for lunch when offered some." I want something to eat, not drink" was her reply. She ended up eating a bowl of cereal instead. I made my soup as follows and it's very cheap to make, about 42p the whole panful.

SPICY CARROT & LENTIL SOUP

1 onion, chopped
300g carrots chopped
1 stock cube
100g red lentils
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground garam masala
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 small hot chilli
1 litre hot water
Salt & pepper to taste

Just throw everything into a pan and cook for about 20 minutes until veg is soft then blitz.

It made a lovely hot spicy soup because I leave the chilli seeds in.

For our evening meal I found half a block of puff pastry in the freezer so thawed this to make the girls a cheese, potato and onion pasty to have with leftover coleslaw from yesterday and some homemade chips. No picture as they ate it before I remembered about a picture. I steered clear of the pasties and opted for a mushroom omelet with a jacket potato with dieting. So I'm down to two little potatoes in the sack so need to visit the farm tomorrow for another sack of potatoes. Milk should last until I get to the shops tomorrow. Nothing left to really make a proper meal with now. I'm out of tinned tomatoes so can't  rustle up a tomato sauce to have with a bag of pasta I have. Got the grandaughters coming this weekend so I had better stock up on a bit of food to last us until Monday which is payday and the beginning of my March grocery challenge.If I only had to feed myself I know I could live very cheaply and not have to shop often.

Loving the gorgeous warm day we've had today here in Yorkshire. I was actually very warm on my walks with the dog. The evenings are lighter for longer and it feels so spring like today. Hubby sent a  text from Guernsey to say he hopes he can fly back tomorrow because there have been no flights in or out of Guernsey all day.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe. I shall have a go at making the soup over weekend. I'm sure that if I did not have other people to feed that I could live very cheaply too!
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are always saying there's no food in the house, what they really mean is there's no food that they can just pop in their mouths without making something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - it would be much cheaper if I only had to think about feeding myself. I'd be quite happy to have poached eggs on toast for tea, but I wouldn't dream of giving that to J. He does a physical job, cycles to work and back (and home for lunch), and exercises most nights. He'd fade away if I didn't feed him well.

    ReplyDelete