Thursday 19 January 2012

Bagel making

My youngest daughter loves bagels at the moment toasted for her breakfast every morning. I buy Sainsburys bakery bagels at £1.00 for 4. I thought today I would have a go at making some myself to see how they turned out. I worked out the costings to be around 30 pence for eight bagels which is a bargain and a big saving on the shop bought ones.

BAGELS

250ml tepid water
1 Tbls oil
11/2 tsp salt
11/2 Tbls sugar
450g strong plain flour
1 sachet dried yeast
1 egg white
2 tsp water

Put water, salt, sugar and oil in breadmaking machine.
Add flour to wet ingredients then the yeast.
Set machine to bagel program or dough program.
When program is finished  knock dough back and divide into 8 pieces.
Roll into a ball then with a floured finger push your finger through the centre of the dough.
Put a pan of water to boil then drop two bagels into the water for 3 minutes turning half way through.
Repeat process until all bagels have been done.
Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and drain on a clean t-towel.
Mix egg white with the water.
Place bagels on a tray and brush with the egg wash.
Bake in fan oven at 200C for 20 minutes.






Had a day at home today pottering around the house doing cleaning, baking and ironing. I only ventured out to take the dog on his walks. It was actually a love day for dog walking. Sun shining and not too cold. Whilst cleaning the bathrooms I noticed one handwash had just about been used up so I took it to the kitchen, got the handwash from the shower room and did this...

Just leave it like this for a while and you won't waste a drop of hand wash. I always do this with a lot of things, ketchup, shampoo and hair conditioner to name a few. I'm sure all you frugal people out there will already do this anyway.


WEIGHT LOSS

Breakfast - medium bowl branflakes with skimmed milk

Lunch - Homemade spicy sweet potato soup and a homemade bagel

Dinner - 2 Veggie sausages, boiled potatoes, cabbage, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, carrots

4 comments:

  1. Your bagels look amazing! I've never tried making them before but will give it a go - they'll make a nice change for lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bagels look delicious. I usually add a little water to the bottom of soap, shampoo or conditioner bottles to make the last little bit easier to empty out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this recipe, I plan to try it out soon!

    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suppertime- we shall be eating fresh bagels
    They have turned out a treat.
    I have taken photos and will post about them tomorrow.

    thanks again

    have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete